Report your accident to the property owner or manager.
- Get a copy of the accident or incident report before you leave the establishment. Should you be taken from the scene by ambulance, be sure to have a family member obtain a copy of the report as soon as possible.
Limit communication with business owners, homeowners, employees or other witnesses.
- Often times, business owners and insurance companies will twist your words around and use them against you. Be cooperative, but offer no information other than that which is required.
Take lots of photographs.
- Take photographs of the accident scene.
- Take photographs of your injuries.
- Take photographs of the object that caused you to slip and fall.
If possible, determine how long the dangerous condition had existed. For example:
- If you were injured because you slipped and fell due to the presence of water on the floor, try to determine the source of the water.
- If you slipped and fell due to carpet in disrepair, try to determine how long the condition had existed.
Get witness contact information.
- Obtain the name, address, telephone number and e-mail address of anyone who saw your slip and fall accident.
- Get the contact information for anyone who may have seen the dangerous condition that caused your slip and fall accident.
- Get contact information for anyone who was involved in cleaning up or repairing the hazard that caused your slip and fall accident.
Seek immediate medical attention.
- It is vital to your claim to document your injuries. Although symptoms may not manifest immediately, it is essential that you establish through medical documentation that you were involved in a slip and fall accident.
Never give a recorded statement to the owner or their insurance company without first contacting an attorney.
- The insurance representative will attempt to obtain statements from you that will devalue your claim.
- If possible, have your attorney on the line in a conference call when you give your recorded statement.
Make detailed notes.
- Make notes about everything concerning your slip and fall accident; the time, place, hazard, contact information of witnesses, and any other information pertinent to the incident.
- Keep a journal of your medical treatment, doctor’s appointments, and progress as your injuries heal or worsen and their effect upon you.
Photograph and save the clothing and shoes you were wearing at the time of the accident.
- Place them in a zip top bag and place them in a safe place. Do not wear them again.
Never sign anything without consulting an attorney.
Call the Monk Law Firm for a free consultation.